The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation established the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program in October 2000 with a donation of $210 million. The most significant single gift to the University of Cambridge.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2023-2024 provides full funding for international students. The scholarship is available to students seeking master’s and doctoral degrees. In addition to the stipend of £18,744 per annum, the scholarship offers health insurance coverage, academic development funding up to £2,000, and a family allowance of £15,612 per annum.
Gates Cambridge scholarship 2023 will grant 80 full-fee scholarships to outstanding candidates from outside the United Kingdom to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge in any subject area. Most of these awards will be awarded to Ph.D. students, with approximately 25 awards available to US students and 55 to international students.
Gates Cambridge scholarship 2023 Summary:
- Study Level: Master’s, Ph.D.
- Institution(s): University of Cambridge
- Areas of Opportunity: All the available courses at the University of Cambridge except the courses listed below
- Program Period: Two years for a master’s and three years for a PhD
- Deadline: 5 January 2023 (for International), 12 October 2022 (for USA Students).
Courses NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Eligibility Criteria for Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2023:
If you meet the following criteria, you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- An individual who is not a British citizen.
- In addition, you will need to apply to one of the following full-time residential courses at the University of Cambridge: Ph.D., M.Sc., MLitt, or a one-year postgraduate program.
Additionally, you must demonstrate the following:
- Exceptional academic performance.
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- The reasons for enrolling in the course.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others.
- And leadership potential.
The Gates Cambridge University Scholarships 2023 are available to international students studying in the United Kingdom. To study in the United Kingdom, the following funds will be provided:
- Composition fee (varies by graduate program)
- Maintenance allowance £18,744/year
- Return economy class tickets from the Home country to the UK and from the UK back to the Home country.
- Costs associated with inbound visas
- Expenses related to the Immigration Health Surcharge.
Based on discretionary components, additional funds will be considered for the scholars:
- Grants for academic development (£500 to £2,000)
- Family allowance (from £10,944 to £15,612 for the 1st and second child)
- Expenses associated with Ph.D. fieldwork
- Funding for maternity and paternity leave
- Funding for hardships
Required Documents for Gates Cambridge University Scholarship 2023-24:
- Please limit your statement to 3000 characters.
- Ph.D. candidates have to submit a research proposal. Even if a course or college application does not require a research proposal, the Gates scholarship requires it.
- You should obtain three letters of recommendation (one of which can be from a current employee).
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
In order to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, please follow the following instructions:
- To be considered for Gates Cambridge funding, applicants must apply for admission to a course, a place at the College, and Gates Cambridge funding.
- Create an account on the website.
- You will need to fill in your personal information
- Submit these documents:
- Gates Cambridge Statement: In no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words), describe how you meet the four main criteria for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship and why you are applying.
- Research proposal (Ph.D. applicants only)
- Gates reference: In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants must submit a reference about their fit for the scholarship.
- Answer the application questions.
- Submit the application
For more information about the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, please visit the official website: