Students continue to flock to the U.S. as one of their premier study destinations. Students from outside the United States often find it difficult to study in the United States because most colleges are very expensive. Do you think your dream to study here is over? Absolutely Not! This article contains information on the cheapest universities in the USA for international students.
We have compiled a comprehensive list of affordable schools where international students can study their dream courses in the United States.
In addition to being affordable, they also offer world-class quality of education, making them a good choice for international students hoping to earn a degree in the United States.
Why is studying in the United States a great idea?
Isn’t it exciting to be able to study at one of the cheapest schools in America while having the opportunity to explore Walt Disney World and New York’s Statue of Liberty at the same time?
This would be one of the most exciting times of your life. Is America just a tourist destination? Will you be studying? And why would international students choose the cheapest community colleges?
The following are some of the factors that resulted in the United States becoming the most popular study destination.
Flexible study programs will suit your needs
Employers will highly value you
You’ll attend universities that are universally recognized
This will be an interactive learning experience for you
Students from international countries may qualify for financial support
You will be immersed in a unique culture
Opportunities will arise on the international stage
Students have a wide variety of study options available to them
The people you meet will come from different backgrounds.
What does it cost an international student to study in the United States?
The cost of public colleges is lower than the cost of private colleges in the United States. There are a variety of factors affecting the cost of education in America, including the institution, program of study, course, and even the location of the initiation.
Public US colleges charge international students from $25,000 to $35,000 per year, while private universities charge from $30,000 to $45,000 per year. Furthermore, a community college associate’s degree costs between $6,000 and $20,000 per year in the United States.
The cost of graduate school ranges from $20,000 to $45,000 per year. Graduate programs in certain professions tend to be more expensive than in other disciplines.
An annual cost of $28k to $55k ranges for doctoral degrees.
Top Cheapest Universities in the USA:
A list of top cheapest universities in the USA is given for international students are below to pursue their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees
1. The University of the People, California:
People University is a private not-for-profit university. Their courses are offered worldwide. There is an excellent faculty at People University. Students and teachers both benefit from the 14:1 student-teacher ratio.
The university has a 100% acceptance rate. So the students who apply for admission here will be able to get a seat.
This university requires students to be at least 16 years old, demonstrate English proficiency, complete an undergraduate course, and have at least two years of experience.
Applicants must submit their resumes, and letters of recommendation must upload required documents, and must pass the entrance exams.
There is no tuition at this institution. However, assessment fees per course are charged.
In more detail, a bachelor’s degree will cost you $4060, while an associate’s degree will cost you $2060 in terms of assessment fees.
This is the best tuition fee for international students in the US.
Become a part of The University of the People, California
2. South Texas College:
- The University of South Texas South Texas offers undergraduate and certificate programs. The student-teacher ratio is 22:1. College rates are among the lowest in the USA for international students at this college.
- With an acceptance rate of 74%, the college offers 127 certificates and degrees, including a bachelor’s degree.
- Students with F-1 or M-1 visas are accepted into the college through the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS). College admission involves five steps: application, testing, advising, tuition, and orientation for new students.
Tuition fee: $4,200
Become a part of South Texas College
3. Arkansas State University:
- In addition to developing leaders, this university endeavors to enrich lives and foster intellectual growth. This university’s student body is composed of students from all over the country and around the world.
- Over 160-degree areas are offered by this doctoral-level institution. 70.2% of applicants are accepted.
- Over 851 international students attend ASU, most of who come from China, India, and Saudi Arabia. ASU boasts an acceptance rate of 80%.
- The application for submission must be completed and accompanied by a $30 non-refundable fee. Official transcripts and test scores are required. Furthermore, you may be able to apply for financial aid or scholarships at such cheap schools in the USA for international students.
Tuition fee: $5,400.
Become A Part of Arkansas State University
4. Minot State University:
- The state-owned Minot State University with an acceptance rate of 66.7%, was established as a school in 1913.
- The University of North Dakota offers undergraduate and graduate programs. It is currently North Dakota’s third-largest university.
- Among North Dakota’s top public universities, the University of North Dakota is ranked 32nd. Besides offering low tuition, Minot also cares about excellence in the classroom, scholarships, and community involvement.
- A total of over 30 different countries are represented among the international students at Minot State University, making it one of the most affordable state universities in the US.
Tuition fee: $6,809.
Become a part of Minot State University
5. Alcorn State University, Mississippi:
- Located in the rural county of Claiborne in Mississippi, Alcorn State University (ASU) is a public, comprehensive institution. Reconstruction-era legislators established it in 1871 to provide higher education to freedmen.
- Admission to the institute is moderately competitive, with an acceptance rate of nearly 58.2% and any candidate with an excellent academic record is likely to be admitted.
- Students wishing to enroll in one of the universities in the USA offering low tuition fees as undergraduates must have graduated from a recognized university high school. A GED is required in all other cases.
- Application for admission will result in a notification to the applicant. An official transcript showing all the grades earned from freshman year until the present will make the admissions process easier.
Tuition fee: $6,888
Become a part of Alcorn State University, Mississippi
6. California State University:
- CSULB is a public university founded in 1946. With an acceptance rate of 76%, it has a less selective admissions process.
- With an area of 322-acres, the campus is the third-largest in California State University’s 23-school system, and one of the state’s largest universities.
- The development of knowledge is a top priority for CSULB’s scholars and community members.
- International students at this medical university can expect to pay among the lowest costs in the country. International applicants are welcome to apply.
- The results of the examinations must be sent as soon as possible. Medical health insurance is also necessary. You can enroll online.
Tuition fee: $8,151
Become a Part of California State University
7. San Mateo Colleges of Silicon Valley
- San Mateo College offers state-of-the-art education facilities and an acceptance rate of up to 70% for associate, certificate, and transfer programs.
- High-tech businesses in Silicon Valley provide numerous opportunities for students. With San Mateo College, you can guarantee your transfer to selected universities and create partnerships with them.
- That’s all there is to it. Complete the college orientation and assessment after applying for admission and identifying a goal for your education.
- Your college counselor will present you with your first-semester education plan. After registering for classes and paying your fees, you can begin taking classes.
Tuition fee: $9,094
Become a part of San Mateo Colleges of Silicon Valley
8. Hillsborough Community College:
- Faculty and academic standards are high, class sizes are small, and HCC students enjoy exceptional faculty. Several pathways lead to a Bachelor’s degree at this liberal arts university. The acceptance rate is 100%.
- Its honors programs are nationally recognized, and it offers leadership development and scholarship opportunities. Additionally, it offers workplace skills training.
- Applicants to low tuition American universities like HCC should first submit a free application for admissions.
- Applying for financial aid and adhering to the enrollment checklists will then be your next steps. In addition to submitting your transcript, transferring credits, and enrolling in classes, you must also submit your transcripts.
Tuition fee: $9,111
Become a part of Hillsborough Community College
9. Sonoma State University:
- The skills of analysis, communication, and research are emphasized at Sonoma State University. Learning about human growth and development is an integral part of studying interdisciplinary liberal arts.
- The campus is located in Napa Valley’s winemaking region, on the outskirts of California. The cost of a master’s at Sonoma State University is low for international students since it has an acceptance rate of 82% for international students.
- Sonoma State University allows you to apply online. There is a $55 application fee. You should have a GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Students from abroad should apply as soon as possible to be considered for admission.
Tuition fee: $9,504
Become a part of Sonoma State University
10. Bellevue University:
- The open admission policy at Bellevue College allows you to pursue your educational and personal goals. With a 100% acceptance rate, it is a very easy institution to enter. The school accepts students in the spring, summer, fall, and winter.
- The school offers courses in Administration, Network, and Humanities so you can pursue your educational goals. Approximately 6,600 undergraduate students are enrolled.
- Send your application through the Washington State Community and Technical College Web Admissions Center. Be patient while the college processes your application. Before you can begin the admission process, you must pay $34 in application fees and $32 in placement fees.
Tuition fee: $3,229 – $11, 973
Become a part of Bellevue University
11. Westcliff University:
- Westcliff University has a 90% acceptance rate. There is a Business major, Technology & Engineering major, Education major, and Law major at Westcliff University. Distance learning is available for adults who work full-time.
- Students are taught by experienced and enlightened instructors. The institution’s learning environment promotes excellence and embraces innovation.
- Westcliff University encourages you to apply. Applicants are also encouraged to view the admission videos for the program they are applying for. Call (949) 825-5999 to schedule an appointment with an advisor once you submit your application.
Tuition fee: $13,560
Become a part of Westcliff University
12. Southeast Missouri State University:
- University students in Thailand number 12,000 at the undergraduate level. There are many popular majors offered at the university, including Biology, Liberal Arts and Humanities, and Business. Almost every major requires an internship.
- SMSU prioritizes critical learning and extracurricular activities. Students who are from abroad can attend SMSU at an affordable rate.
- Southeast Missouri State University admissions are selective with an acceptance rate of 93%. Applicants can apply online.
- A $40 application fee is required. Email your supporting documents (passport copy, transcripts from your academic records, affidavit of financial support, English proficiency proof, etc.). Mail your transcripts.
Tuition fee: $ 14, 205
Become a part of Southeast Missouri State University
13. Bradley University:
- Bradley University, a small college, offers an exceptional learning environment. Students from around the world appreciate the affordability of this college.
- Bradley University offers many popular majors, including education, journalism, marketing, communications, engineering, etc. Small classes with excellent teacher-student relationships are a hallmark of this school.
- Known as one of the top private colleges in the Midwest, Bradley University is a prestigious private university.
- 71.4% of applications are accepted. Complete the application form. Usually, a personal statement is required as well. An application fee is then required.
- Next, you can apply for financial aid and submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores. In the event that everything goes well and you wish to study in cheap medical colleges in the United States for international students, you will be invited for a personal interview.
Tuition fee: $17,100
Become a part of Bradley University
14. City University of New York
- 26 universities make up New York City’s City University system. Business, computer science, engineering, fine arts, liberal arts, law, and biomedical studies are just some of the subjects available in undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs.
- There is a 64% acceptance rate. The cheapest aeronautical engineering schools in the USA require students to have a high school GPA. In order to get into the cheapest university in the US, international students must earn a second-class upper division.
- Applications and application fees need to be completed. Regularly checking your admission status is also necessary.
Tuition fee: $17,400
Become a part of the City University of New York
15. Metropolitan State University (Minnesota)
- Metropolitan State University has been nationally recognized since its founding in 1971. The university offers high-quality education, is flexible, and is one of the best affordable universities in the US.
- Minnesota State University has been named the most affordable university in the state. Mostly older students, it serves a wide range of backgrounds. For international students, it should rank among the most affordable universities in the United States.
- Application fees are not required and the university has a 61.9% acceptance rate. In order to complete your application, you must submit your high school transcripts and GPA. Although taking the SAT/ACT is not mandatory, it is recommended.
Tuition fee: $17, 552
Become a part of Metropolitan State University (Minnesota)
16. Manhattanville College:
- At Manhattanville College, you can major in Business Administration and Management, Social Sciences, Speech Communication, and Rhetoric.
- Manhattanville College, located in New York, offers more than 50 bachelor’s degrees and 70 master’s degrees. Among the most affordable universities in the United States, it is without a doubt one of the most popular among international students.
- 89.9% of international students are accepted to the cheapest MBA programs in the US. Manhattanville College accepts the Common Application and the Manhattanville College Application from applicants. Candidates in high school should have a minimum GPA of 3.0
Tuition Cost: $19,440
Become a part of Manhattanville College
17. Ashland University
- Students, graduates, and working adults can pursue top-tier online and on-campus degrees at the University of Cincinnati. In the state of Ohio, its program is ranked No. 1 by Education Management and Forensic Science.
- 68% of applicants are accepted by Ashland University. Undergraduate programs typically require a GPA of 2.5. You will also need to submit your immigration documents, college transcripts, proof of English proficiency, and financial support documentation.
Tuition cost: $22,990
Become a part of Ashland University
18. Cooper Union NY:
- Reports state that Cooper Union University is one of the hardest to get into. Students from abroad can attend one of the cheapest architecture universities in the United States. The school offers programs in engineering, architecture, and the arts.
- The University offers 50% scholarships in addition to 16 percent acceptance rates. Students from abroad may be required to pay $1,005 per semester. However, Cooper Union is an affordable university.
Tuition fee: $22,635
Become a part of Cooper Union NY
Selecting an American University: What You Need to Know?
International students must meet specific requirements at each of the universities listed above to be admitted to them, so make sure to review the requirements before applying to any of the cheap universities in the USA mentioned above.
Here are some general requirements:
1. Students from abroad will be required to take standardized tests (e.g. GRE, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT), and some schools will ask for other documents (e.g. writing samples, portfolios, inventor lists) as part of the application process.
2. English proficiency is required for US university applications
3. The following tests are accepted by most U.S. universities:
IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing Service),
TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language),
PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English),
C1 Advanced (formerly known as Cambridge English Advanced).
So if you’re interested in studying at one of the cheapest universities in the United States for international students, you need the other documents and test scores listed above to get admitted.
Further Aid in financial matters:
- Students from abroad who wish to complete their studies in the US will need assistance with these fees.
- Fortunately, there is support available for those who need it. It is not necessary to pay for these fees all on your own.
- To help students who cannot fully pay for their studies, financial aid has been made immediately available to them.
Financial aid is provided in the form of:
- A grant, usually from the government, is a form of money that does not have to be repaid.
- Unlike grants, scholarships do not need to be repaid, and they come from schools, non-profits, and other private entities.
- Most students receive financial aid in the form of student loans. In contrast to private loans from banks or other lenders, most federal and state loans have lower interest rates and more repayment options.
- On-campus or off-campus jobs are available through work-study programs. You will receive your work-study award throughout the semester or school year.
This information contained in this article should have been of some use to you in your life and hopefully has made it easier for you to decide which cheapest university in the USA is right for you. Don’t delay, apply today.
Wishing you luck in your studies.